I started to work on the guts last night and was able to accomplish most of the soldering in an hour or so with my friend Matt, who is much more experienced with this kind of thing and also has a basement full of a zillion cool nerd-toys that make the job easier—a nice soldering iron and space age wire strippers and the like.
Then today, I started applying the clearcoat lacquer to the enclosure. Three mist coats 30 minutes apart had it looking very nice and shiny, with the added benefit of obscuring the edges of the decal film. After a 24-hour drying period, I'll sand it with very fine sandpaper and apply additional coats of lacquer.
I set out to finish the wiring tonight, but no sooner was the iron hot than I realized I would need to start screwing pieces into the enclosure, which as I've just told you is not finished yet. So I had to stop for now. Bummer—it's a lot of fun. I'm already thinking about my next build!
Before I sprayed on the lacquer, I placed the knobs, LED, and footswitch loosely into position and snapped a quick photo with the circuit board next to it. It's looking great. I can't wait to see and hear the finished product!
(This photo can be enlarged to see the nerdiness up close; just click on it.)